Ethernet to Midi to CV converter

1. Intro
2. Ethernut CPLD

First Posted March 21, 2008

    This is going to be one fun project.  I am going to do MIDI over Ethernet.  The main purpose is so that I can have MIDI to CV converters for my home made synthesizers.  But I am sure there are many applications of this.  Ethernet is not exactly the easiest thing to deal with, but over the last couple of months I have discovered it is really not any where near as bad as I thought.  At work, I was tasked with creating an FTP client that runs on a micro controller ( An ATmega128 to be exact).  I ended up using Ethernut from Egnite.  This is a cute little board that has quite a bit of capability.  The learning curve on using sockets was a little steep, but I am somewhat comfortable with it now.

    But here is the BIG rub.  I have no desire to write a Windows Device driver for a Midi port.  I am sure it is no more difficult than using sockets, but there is only just so much that you can do.  My plan is to use a virtual midi port that will then be connected to the ethernet by a server that I will write myself.  Probably not quite as elegant, but it should get the job done.

    As I get this stuff going, I will post it.  I plan on making everything open source.

January 15, 2009

Ethernut 2.1b CPLD verilog code
    Ok, this does not nessesarily have anything to do with going from Ehternet to Midi....but, since I am using the Ethernut and this has to do with that...I will post it here.

    At work, I created my own AVR board that had an FPGA on it to do a job.  And, it uses the Ethernut OS, and the board itself is similar to the Ethernut 2.1b board.  I wish I could share that project with everybody...but I can't.  I am working on my own board for here at home which will use a Xilinx FPGA, probably an XC3S50A.  But that will be a ways off.

    I mentioned my project at work on the Ethernut forum, and I was asked if I could contribute the verilog code to the ethernut project, since the CPLD on the 2.1b board is only in schematic form.  Well, I couldn't do that, but I could write a new peice of code that would exactly duplicate what the schematic does.  And here it is.

    Now, as of January 15, 2009, this code has yet to be tested.  I am not sure when I will be able to get around to that...soon, I hope.  This is a complete project.  It was done using ISE webpack version 9.1.  Yeah...I am a couple of version back, but that is because I have EDK 9.1...and the two have to stick together.

    Verilog Project for Ethernut 2.1b (Cpld Version 0.01) ISE 9.1

    Enjoy...and if somebody verifies this befor me...let me know.